Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Kale Chips - Done 2 Ways!

Hey everyone!

Sorry it's been a little while since I've posted, I know I promised a recipe. Last week I had a pretty nasty cold that took forever to kick, but I'm finally healthy again! Before I got sick, I was on a recipe kick. And it just so happens that Jake came home from work and told me about how a coworker of his made some homemade Kale chips and Jake actually tried them... and actually liked them! Since I've been trying to get everyone in the house to eat healthier (including me!), I figured I would take a stab at it and attempt to make my own. I read a ton of different recipes online, but all of them were different so I just decided to wing it, and to my own benefit, they came out great!

I decided to make two different kinds because I am a crazy person when it comes to BBQ potato chips so I thought, if I could make some kale chips that were just as yummy, I'd be set. Well, Jake isn't as crazy about BBQ as I am so I did some more milder ones for him, parmesan and garlic. Personally, I think they both came out delicious and I will definitely be making more! I know they are good because I made all of our friends and family try them, over and over again, to reassure myself, and none of them complained! So here's the recipes, this time, equip with pictures!

Parmesan Garlic Kale Chips & Barbecue Kale Chips

* I had one large bunch of Kale and made that one bunch into two different flavor batches. The first couple of steps of prep are the same for both, since I made everything together up until that point, and then separated them into different batches. * One large bunch of Kale, split into two, makes about 1-2 cups of each flavor, so 3-4 cups total. You can use more or less Kale if you'd like, this recipe is pretty easy to "eye-ball" so you can add or subtract the other ingredients by using your "gut-instinct". *

Ingredients:



One large bunch of Kale 
Olive Oil - I used an Extra Virgin/Canola Oil Mix
Minced Garlic
Parmesan Cheese
Salt
Pepper
Barbecue Seasoning


Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with baking or parchment paper (this isn't necessary but it makes for a very easy clean-up). Wash your Kale. Dry it - and make sure it's REALLY dry. If you have a salad spinner, that would work great. If not, be sure to dry it very well with a towel and let it sit out for a little while to make sure there is no more water on it. Once your Kale is washed and dried, cut it up into large pieces. The pieces don't have to be small, because the Kale will shrink a lot while baking. Place the Kale into a large bowl. Here's what mine looked like after cutting:

Next, pour on your Olive Oil. I used 5 heaping tablespoons, but you can be the judge of it if you think you need more or less. Also, add in 3 tablespoons of minced Garlic. Now, mix well. Get in there with your hands and make sure all of the Kale is coated. Now split up your Kale mixture onto both baking sheets, Making sure there is enough room on each for proper baking and make both sheets even with Kale.

For Parmesan and Garlic Kale Chips:

Once your Kale/Olive Oil/Garlic mixture is on your baking sheets, sprinkle a generous amount of Salt, Pepper, and Parmesan cheese over all of them. This is what mine looked like:


For Barbecue Kale Chips:

Once your Kale/Olive Oil/Garlic mixture is on your baking sheets, sprinkle a generous amount of Salt, Pepper, and the Barbecue seasoning over all of them. This is what mine looked like:



Next, cook in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove both trays and toss them around, but be gentle, they are fragile.

This is what the Parmesan Garlic chips look like at 8 minutes:



And this is what the Barbecue chips look like at 8 minutes:


Once you've tossed them, place back in the oven for another 8 minutes. Toss one more time, then cook for an additional 2 minutes. Then remove the trays and allow them to cool fully. The longer you let them cool, the crispier the chips will get.

Here is what the Garlic Parmesan chips look like once they are done:


And here is what the Barbecue chips look like once they are done:


As most of you probably know, I sell Tupperware products. We carry a line called Modular Mates, they are air-tight containers, and that's what I used to store my Kale chips in!


I loved these! They were very easy to make, I mainly eyeballed everything, and they are so healthy for you so it's a "win" all across the board. You can try other seasonings and what not too! Next time I am going to try some of the Hidden Valley Ranch Packets on them and see how that turns out! I hope you try these and they are just as yummy for you as they were for me! Enjoy!

xoxo,
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment