Pages

Monday, October 31, 2016

Review & Recipe: Tastys M&M's Popcorn Balls


Happy Halloween!!

Facebook has taken the world by storm and so has those catchy little one-minute food videos that are on our newsfeed that we all get sucked into watching. We all probably have at least 50 of them saved because they just look "soooo good" and we're definitely going to make them, right? HAHA. We all know we probably won't make any of them. But hey, it's the thought that counts! Well a little while back, I did just that. I saved one. And low and behold, I actually made it today.

My husband, Jake, LOVES popcorn balls. Seriously. One year he made me go to like four different stores looking for them. I finally found them at Target. They were individually wrapped and rock hard and I was convinced that if you threw one, it would break a window. They were also disgusting looking. I've never understood what the big deal with them is and they certainly aren't my cup of tea (yuck), but he's all about them. Jake has to work out of town and he won't be home tonight for Halloween so I decided to be nice and make him a little something for when he gets home. Well, that Facebook video I was telling you about that I got sucked into watching.... and saving.... you got it. Popcorn balls.

Tasty's (the company that posted the video) version of Popcorn balls is the one that I tried. I did change a couple of things in the recipe, so I will post my edited recipe below. Here is a link for you to watch their recipe video: Tasty's M&M'S Popcorn Balls


My Review:

  • I used peanut M&M's mainly because I like them better than regular M&M's but I quickly learned why they used the originals. I found that the peanut ones are a lot heavier and they sunk to the bottom of the bowl and didn't really mix well with the popcorn mixture. I ended up basically "stuffing" them by hand into the popcorn balls. So I would suggest sticking with the original M&M'S.
  • This recipe only made 9 popcorn balls so if you are making this recipe to send to school with your kids for their halloween party or you decided to take them to work to pass around, you'll definitely need to double or triple the recipe.
  • It was very hard to "form" the popcorn balls when the mixture was warm. I formed the the best that I could and then let them sit for about a half hour. When I came back, they were cooled and I could form them into better and compact them into tighter balls. After I did that, then I drizzled with the chocolate.
  • They are VERY sweet. I, personally, think that the chocolate on top was a little much and definitely "the icing on the cake." They're definitely not a treat to give to a Diabetic and not one to give to the kids anytime in the evening or else they won't be going to bed for awhile. 
  • They were very easy to make. I am no baker by any means (if it's sweet, I tend to mess it up) but I do believe anyone could make this recipe.
  • Quick! They were super quick to make. I did it while the boys were napping. It only took about 5 minutes to melt the butter and marshmallows together and while that was happening, I popped the popcorn in the microwave. It only took another 5 minutes to fix everything and shape them. Then I waited the 30 minutes for them to really set before I reshaped them. Then another minute or two to melt the chocolate and put it on the balls. Then we topped ours with sprinkled. We waited another 5 minutes or so to let it harden and then we transferred them to cupcake wrappers onto a cookie sheet and viola - all done! 

  • Overall: I would recommend them to people who like popcorn balls or for someone who has to bring a sweet treat to an event. Quick, easy, pretty cheap to make, and tasty!



Our version of Tasty's M&M'S Popcorn Balls!

Ingredients:
8 cups of popped popcorn (we used kettle corn)
4 cups of mini marshmallows
1 bag (11 oz) of M&M'S (we used the peanut ones)
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter
melting chocolate or candy coating
sprinkles
cooking spray


Directions:
If you bought microwavable or stove top popcorn, then pop your popcorn. Spray a large bowl with the cooking spray. Put your 8 cups of popcorn in the large, sprayed bowl.
In a nonstick pan, melt the butter.
Once the butter is melted, pour in your marshmallows and stir them until they are completely incorporated with the butter and fully melted.

Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the popcorn.
Add in the M&M'S and mix until everything is coated evenly.


Spray your hands with cooking spray. Form fist size balls of the mixture using your hands and set onto a sprayed cookie sheet (we used parchment paper on our cookie sheet then sprayed the parchment paper with cooking spray). Once all of your balls are formed (we made 9), let the balls sit for about a half hour so they can set. When they have set and the half hour is up, reshape the balls again and press firmly so they become tighter balls. Melt your chocolate or candy coating in the microwave using 20 second intervals into it is fully melted and smooth to stir.

Pour into a ziplock bag and cut off a small part of one of the corners.
Drizzle the melted chocolate or candy over the popcorn balls.
Top with sprinkles.
Let the chocolate or candy coating harden, about 5 minutes. Transfer the balls to cupcake wrappers and serve!

I hope everyone has a spooky Halloween and your bags get filled with tons of candy!
- Christine

Disclaimer: I was not obligated in any way to review or share this recipe or the ingredients I used with you and I am not being compensated to mention them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment