Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Recipe: Garlic Zucchini & Summer Squash

Last summer, I successfully grew vegetables in our back yard (after trying and failing for 4 years - HA!). I underestimated just how quickly zucchini and summer squash grew and I planted a LOT. So I had to come up with a ton of recipes to use them in. Now that it's winter, I find myself still buying them from the store because they have become a staple in our home. This recipe is so simple and easy and comes together so quickly. Plus, it's a hearty dish so it fills your tummy up quickly.


Garlic Zucchini & Summer Squash
 


Ingredients:

2 Zucchinis, sliced
2 Summer Squashes, sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil or your preferred cooking oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
3-4 tablespoons Garlic Seasoning Blend (I use the one pictured below because my dad get's it from his Dialysis company for free and it's very flavorful and salt-free which is a plus. McCormick and Kroger Brand both make great garlic seasoning blends. Also, this may seem like a lot of seasoning but I've found that both Zucchini and Summer Squash are pretty bland in flavor and they absorb a lot of the flavoring of what you cook them with. If you are concerned about that amount of seasoning, I would start with 1 tablespoon of seasoning and then taste test it and continue to add seasoning until you are happy with the flavoring).


Directions:

Make sure your zucchini and summer squash are sliced.
In a large sauté pan (preferably non-stick) heat 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil over medium-high / high heat. Once the oil is hot, put the sliced zucchini and summer squash in the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add in your seasoning and mix thoroughly so that all of the pieces are coated. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add in the Worcestershire sauce and stir through. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, until majority of the sauce in the pan is absorbed. Serve!


I have used both of McCormick's brand Barbecue and Mesquite seasonings on these as well and they were SO good. If you end up making the recipe or using another type of seasoning, be sure to let me know what you think!!

Stay healthy!
- Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment